Justin over at justintadlock.com made a post a few days ago about how to preset text in the WordPress post editor. It’s a great post, with an interesting filter detailed. In the comments, somebody mentioned that they’d like to be able to preset custom fields as well – something that seems like it shouldn’t work (Custom fields need a post id to work on, and new posts dont have a post id). Yesterday, the workaround hit me like a slap in the face while I was in the shower – so I decided to package up this, along with the original code that Justin published in a plugin.
It’s not the most elegant piece of code in the world, but it works on all the installs I’ve tried it on. I’ll try to put up a post detailing how it works soon, but in the meantime, feel free to download the plugin and give it a try.